Larkbeare Grange Favourite Recipes

Larkbeare Grange Marmalade

900g Seville oranges
2 lemons
3 litres water
1.8kg granulated sugar

Cut fruit in half and squeeze out juice and pips
Cut up fruit – as thick or thin as you like (can be done in a processor)
Put pips into muslin bag and tie up
Put fruit, juice, pips and water into preserving pan and cook gently for about 1½ hours
Remove muslin bag and squeeze to remove juice
Add sugar and ensure it has dissolved
Boil hard for about 20-30 minutes
Test for a set
If there is scum on top of marmalade, add about 20g unsalted butter and stir thoroughly
Leave for about fifteen minutes before putting in jars

There are quicker methods, but this works well – helps if you have a juicer!


smoked haddock fillets weighing about 700g
600ml water 100g butter
1 bay leaf pinch of curry powder
1 slice lemon 225g long-grain rice
1 small onion juice of ½ lemon
freshly milled pepper few sprigs parsley


Put fish into a saucepan along with the water, bay leaf and lemon. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Lift out the cooked fish. Strain 600ml of the cooking liquid into a measuring jug.

Peel and finely chop the onion. Melt half the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and fry gently to soften but not brown (I do this in a low oven for about 45 minutes).  Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute stirring occasionally, to draw out the flavour.  Add the rice to the onion and mix together and then pour in the fish liquid.

Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, then lower the heat, cover and cook gently for 20—30 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed. (again, I do this in a low oven).

Meanwhile, flake the fish, removing skin and bones.  Take the rice off the heat, add the remaining butter, the flaked fish, chopped parsley and lemon juice. Season with pepper and gently mix together with a fork.

Wrap in cling film (suggest 175g portions) and freeze.  I put the thawed kedgeree into an oven proof dish, add a little more butter and dessert spoon of cream; cover with greaseproof paper and reheat for about 15 minutes at around 170c.